Using the template option, you can view and edit the look and layout of the template selected for the campaign. You can also check, preview, and “test send” a campaign email with this template before sending the campaign.
In this article:
- Preview & Template Editor
- Send Test Email
- Content Editor
- Content Overview
After selecting the template option, the system displays the template menu with the preview & template editor page on top. The available template options depend on the form of template you are using for your campaign.
- Component-based master templates: Master templates are built on components and can be edited with the content editor.
- Customer HTML templates: these templates, you receive an empty HTML page, which you can use to import, i.e., copy/paste your HTML campaign.
Note: The functions described here also apply to the Sales Campaign app. The only difference between Marketing and Sales Campaign are the recipients: In Marketing Campaign, your recipients are the guest profiles available in the central CRM database, in Sales Campaign, your recipients are the sales contacts of agent and company accounts residing and maintained in B2B Sales.
- Preview & Template Editor: Edit the content and coloring of a template and preview the result, sent to a desktop or mobile device.
- Send Test Email: Send a merged version of your campaign to a selected email address to view the outcome.
- Content Overview: View and access the components of the linked master template and adapt them to your requirements in all required languages.
Preview & Template Editor
Using The preview options are ideal for seeing the campaign as it will be sent to the recipients based on the given criteria. In the preview & template editor option, you see the placeholders/variables of the template. They are used to generate the dynamic content with the selected campaign template (salutation, first and last name, etc.)
Additionally, for HTML templates, you can view the HTML code of the HTML template in the Template Editor.
- Select the template option from the Campaign Menu. The system displays the templates menu with the preview & template editor on top.
If the template contains placeholders for dynamic content (salutation, name, gender, season, date, or other variables), the system displays them here.
- Preview (Mobile or Desktop): Provides a preview of how the message will look in the selected output device, i.e., mobile device or desktop browser.
Select a Preview Scenario, optionally fill in some additional data and then select the Preview Mobile or Preview Desktop icon to display the merged template the way it will display to the recipients.
- Reset Master Template: This option removes the chosen master template and all related content from this campaign.
You cannot undo this option. Only select it if you want to build your own HTML-based template/campaign using the template editor.
- Template Editor: Only available for HTML templates, not for master templates. For HTML templates, the system shows the HTML code used to produce the template.
- Content Editor: The content editor is available for master templates. It uses a WYSIWYG mode to display the text blocks, images, labels and links in the template. You can use it for adapting the content to your requirements and for adding and editing required translations.
- Style Editor: The Style Editor is available for master templates. It provides a list of colors and fonts used in the template. You can use it to adjust styling including colors and font sizes.
In the Sample Data for Template Preview and Content Edit section fill in the placeholders to test the resulting look of the template, especially when using dynamic content. The following variables are often used in this context.
Table: Sample Data for Template Previews – Typical Variables
Value / Format
Different look per season.
M = male design
F = female design
Enter a first name
Visible in variable
Enter a last name
Visible in variable
Enter a salutation code, ranging from 0 to 99
0 = Mr. / Mrs.
1 = Mr.
2 = Mrs.
Visible in variable
- Fill in the required data and select the required Preview option, Mobile or Desktop.
The system displays the merged template the way it will look on the chosen output device.
The system merges the supplied data with the given template. Depending on the template design the resulting merged template can look quite differently, based on the entered data.
In the below example, the look of the birthday mailing header is adapted based on the recipient’s gender.
Send Test Email
Using send test email you can verify the look and the send process by sending a merged version of your campaign to a specific email address.
- In the template page, select the send test email.
The send test email page displays.
By default, the system automatically prefills all required fields. It uses your email address in the to email address field and fills the other fields from the email settings.
- If required, you can change the defaults by overwriting them.
- Verify the contents and select the send test email.
The system emails the campaign to the indicated email address and displays an appropriate message upon success.
- Open the email from your email account to view the campaign as a recipient.
The content editor is available for campaigns based on master templates. It uses a WYSIWYG mode to display the text blocks, images, labels and links in the template. You can use it for adapting the content to your requirements.
The content editor displays a template preview on the left side, and on the right side, the text blocks, images, labels and links used and/or available for the template.
As you hover over/mouse over labels, images, text blocks and links, the system displays the name and the function of the respective element/item.
Viewing/Modifying Text Blocks, Links, Labels and Images
Select any of the text blocks, labels, images or links to change the image, edit the link or to specify a valid date range for the selected content.
- Links, labels, and text blocks with a red x marker are not in use. You can use them for adding and customizing your template content, if required.
- Deactivated links, labels, and text blocks are
Many master templates use centrally configured text blocks and shared content. As a rule, these are defined during the setup and maintained centrally via the setup option: Setup > Content
In this case, when selecting the language tab you see the text code instead of the text.
Using valid date ranges for template items:
You can optionally use valid date ranges to define dynamic content. Select the Link, Image or Text Block definition tab and enter the respective valid from and to dates.
Viewing/Overwriting shared content:
When hovering over the template in the content editor, in addition to “regular” links, text blocks and images, there are also SHARED links, images, and text blocks.
You can edit shared content in the template if you have the permission to do so. This means that you are overwriting and individualizing this piece of content.
In this case, the system transforms the shared item into a template-specific item by changing the Group Code to the template name + hotel ID.
For globally updating a piece of shared content, go to Setup > Content.
Adding/Changing Images with Drag and Drop
- Select an image component to open the image definition. You can change the image, use different images for each language, and you can use different images for various date periods.
- Modify the image by selecting the box next to the image and selecting the file from the file explorer.
- Alternatively, drag and drop the image in. Make sure that the mouse is within the dotted box when you let go.
Please pay attention to the maximum size of images. The height can vary depending on the length of the text but the width must not be exceeded. If you exceed the width, the newsletter may be displayed incorrectly
Maximum Image width:
Header Image, spanning the full width of the template: 640 pxl
1 column promotion Image: 600 pxl
2 column promotions: 290 pxl
3 column promotions: 186 pxl
Changing a Link
Using the link items, you can add and edit links for your images and/or text blocks. The recipient of your correspondence can access the respective information by selecting the corresponding image or text link.
- Open the Create/Edit Link dialog by selecting the link.
- Into the Link Value English (Default) field, type in or copy in the link you want to use for the image or text item.
- If several languages are supported, type in or copy in the link you want to use for other target language(s), if the links differ from the default language.
- Select the Check Link button to verify that the link works properly. If not, the system displays an appropriate error message.
- Select Save when you are done.
The system saves and returns to the content editor display.
The content overview tab provides a list with the text blocks, labels, images, and links used in the given template. You can use the option to check and edit the default contents to add translations for other languages and for adding new items.
Shared content is not displayed in the content overview. Shared content can be changed in the Setup menu: Setup > Content.
Moreover, you can use this option to view identical components where only the valid dates are different.
Viewing and editing content in the content overview:
- In the Template option of the campaign menu, select content overview.
A list of the text blocks, labels, images, and links used in the template displays.
By default, the content is displayed alphabetically by Group Code, Text Code and Valid From dates. Select any other column to sort by the respective information instead. For instance, select the Type header to sort by content type.
Select a component to view the content and modify if required.
The system displays the Content Definition first, in our example the Text Block Definition. Here you can change content based on valid dates.
To edit and change text and to add different languages, select the respective language tab and edit the content there.
Please sign in to leave a comment.